Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana) is an incredible stretching yoga pose with plenty of health benefits. In this position, your head hangs below the heart and allows fresh oxygen to enter your brain. It boosts up the energy level throughout your body. it is necessary to stretch your body in a correct style otherwise it may harm your back.
Step by step guide to Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
- Take a yoga mat and stand straight with your feet parallel to each other.
- Press your feet against floor and ground your body strongly.
- Exhale slowly and bend down with your hips. Keep your chest and stomach over thighs.
- Try to keep your knees straight, if possible.
- In case your knees are not straight, it should not be opened inwards and outwards.
- Now try to get straight and maintain your chest and stomach over thighs constantly.
- Once you are stable then hang your head downwards.
- Put your arms on the floor and try to hold your heels from behind.
- Hold the same position for 30 to 60 seconds and breathe slowly during position. Every time you inhale try to go deeper with stretch.
- You should not close your eyes otherwise you may lose your balance.
- Release your body back to standing pose and breathe slowly.
In case, you are suffering from back or hip injury, you should not try Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana). It stimulates your nervous system and improves flexibility of hips.