Marichi’s Pose (Marichyasana) is the name stolen from Hindu mythology. Marichi is the son of God Brahma and father of humanity. Before practicing Marichi’s Pose (Marichyasana), you are advised to warm up your body. It helps you in maintaining spine mobility and flexibility.
Step by step guide to Marichi’s Pose (Marichyasana)
- Start Marichi’s Pose (Marichyasana) with staff position. Your lower body and torso should be at right angles to each other with spine.
- Lift up your rib cage and keep your shoulders relaxed. Bend your right leg over knee. Keep your right foot over floor completely flat and closer to buttock.
- Keep your left leg extended and rotate inwards slowly. Pres your thighs downwards on the floor.
- Keep your right arm behind your arm with palm facing down to balance body weight.
- Stretch the spine to its maximum limit and start with the twist.
- Inhale deeply and exhale slowly, twist your torso in the right direction.
- Keep your head pointing outwards and bent your left arm. Try to maintain your weight at outer and inner part of right foot.
- Hold the position for up to 60 seconds and twist with each breathe. Release the body back to mountain pose
Don’t forget to warm up your body and spread your weight evenly across the foot. If you are not comfortable then you could take help from a stuffed blanket. It stretches your back muscles and spine. It also increased the flexibility and spine mobility. The yoga posture may also help you with menstrual pain.